For the sake of all the enthusiastic vapers out there who want to delve into the world of making ejuice by themselves, this article will be talking about how to actually make it, and the mathematics behind it. Once you get the ejuice maths grounded, you will be able to make your own unique ejuice flavors just like the pros. If you want to know the basics about making vape juice, you can find a ton of resources online.
Here, we will focus on mixing by using a sample ejuice recipe so you can better understand what it entails and how you can try it out in your own recipes. In this article, we will be making use of volumetric mixing.
Here is the sample ejuice formula we will be using based on the results we will result in:
- Staring nicotine concentration: 48mg/ml nicotine solution in propylene glycol
- Desired/resulting nicotine: 3mg/ml
- Desired volume of ejuice: 60ml
- Desired flavor percentage: 10%
- Desired flavor: Single flavor (you can choose any flavor you prefer to work with)
- Desired ratio of vegetable glycerin (VG) and propylene glycol (PG): 80/20
Now, we have a target. Let’s get right into the ejuice preparation. As a safety reminder, make sure you have your goggles and gloves on. Here are the next steps:
- Prep Your Workstation
By this time you should have your entire diy vape juice kit ready to go. You will need a hard and flat surface, like a table, to serve as your workstation i.e. where you will be doing all the measuring and mixing. Make sure it is spacious, comfortable, and away from children and pets. You don’t want unnecessary spills.
Once you have designated a workstation, you can go ahead and put all your ingredients from your diy vape juice kit on the workstation.
- Select An Ejuice Storage Bottle
Based on our desired results, we are working with a desired 60ml volume of ejuice. As a result, we will get an ejuice bottle that can contain 60ml of ejuice. The ejuice bottle should have a little extra space because once you are done mixing, you will need to do a lot of vigorous shaking. You can use either a plastic bottle with a child-proof cap, or you can repurpose an empty ejuice bottle.
- Mixing All Your Ingredients Together
You can mix each ingredient in whatever order you choose, it does not affect the overall flavor or performance. What matters the most in mixing is the measurement of each ingredient, and the quality of the ingredients you are working with. You can find top-notch ingredients for vape juice on https://flavorah.com.
You can begin by filling the ejuice bottle with the nicotine solution, flavoring, vegetable glycerin (VG) and propylene glycol (PG). After which you close the bottle and shake vigorously for all the ingredients to blend perfectly.
Mastering The Ejuice Math
Let’s get to the details, how to actually get the measurements of all the ingredients you will be working with in your DIY ejuice recipe. Following the sample recipe above, we will have to do a little math. It’s nothing complex though, but it is absolutely rewarding. First get one container each for the nicotine solution, vegetable glycerin (VG) and propylene glycol (PG). Here is what you do next:
- We will start off by calculating the amount of vegetable glycerin (VG) and propylene glycol (PG) that you will be adding. Based on our sample, the desired ratio is 80/20 VG/PG. The formula we will use is:
Desired volume of ejuice x desired percentage of VG or PG = volume of VG/PG needed
60ml x 0.8VG (or 80%) = 48ml of vegetable glycerin (VG)
60ml x 0.2PG (or 20%) = 12ml of propylene glycol (PG)
- Next, we need to calculate the volume of flavoring we will be using. The formula is:
Flavor percentage x desired volume of ejuice = volume of flavoring needed
0.1 (or 10%) x 60ml = 6ml of flavoring
- You will need to subtract the volumes of the liquid nicotine and flavoring from the total volume of PG to get an accurate 80/20 VG/PG blend. Following our desired concentration of nicotine, here is what you do:
12ml of PG – 6ml of flavoring – 3.75ml of PG-based nicotine = 2.25ml of 100% PG
Now you have the correct measurements, you can go ahead and measure them out and mix. If these calculations are too much, you can find an ejuice calculator online or download it as an application on your phone. The calculator does all the work for you. You just input the desired results and it gives you the right measurements. Making ejuice yourself if easier now than it has ever been, you can see that by now.